Thursday, 23 July 2026

Continuous Development - A Development Journey

Today while looking at documents related to an exercise undertaken by colleagues, I wondered how often do younger ones hear advice like "develop yourself," "build competencies," "improve your skills" from elders at home and bosses at work and how would younger ones be reacting? My conclusion based on objective observations over last 60 years is that such advises repeated over time become background noise.

I consider it is necessary we understand the topic objectively in detail for our selfish interests.  

What are they really saying?

Imagine that your career is like growing a tree.

  • Your knowledge is the roots.
  • Your skills are the trunk and branches.
  • Your attitude and character are the strength of the wood.
  • Your results are the fruits.

People who have lived longer or worked longer have seen that those who keep strengthening these parts continue to grow, and those who stop growing often get left behind.

So, when an elder says, "Develop yourself," they are usually saying:

"Invest in yourself today so that tomorrow brings you more opportunities, confidence, and freedom."

Why should young people listen?

Not because elders are always right. They are not.

But because they have usually seen patterns repeat over many years.

For example, they have seen people who:

  • kept learning and became leaders,
  • communicated well and built strong relationships,
  • managed money wisely and enjoyed greater security,
  • ignored feedback and remained stuck, despite talent.

Experience cannot predict everything, but it often recognizes patterns before younger people can.

How can a young person know whether they need to improve?

A simple test is to ask:

  1. Am I learning something new every few months?
  2. Have I been able to impress people so they can rely on me?
  3. Do I complete what I promise?
  4. Do I receive the same feedback repeatedly?
  5. Am I more capable today than I was a year ago?
  6. If I lost my job tomorrow, would someone else gladly hire me?

If the answer to several of these is "No," then growth deserves attention.

Which areas matter most?

Almost every successful person keeps improving in these areas:

  1. Character – honesty, responsibility, discipline.
  2. Learning – acquiring new knowledge and skills.
  3. Communication – listening, speaking, writing clearly.
  4. Relationships – working well with others.
  5. Problem solving – finding solutions instead of only identifying problems.
  6. Self-management – managing time, emotions, health, and money.
  7. Professional excellence – becoming really good at one's chosen work.

How much effort is enough?

You do not have to become perfect.

Just ask yourself:

"Am I becoming a little better every month?"

Small, steady improvements over several years create extraordinary results.

A thought worth remembering

A young person's greatest asset is time. An elder's greatest asset is experience.

When the energy of youth combines with the wisdom of experience, growth becomes much faster than either alone.

One saying captures this well:

"Your future is shaped less by what you know today and more by your willingness to keep learning tomorrow."

That is why thoughtful elders and good managers encourage development—not to criticize young people, but because they want them to build a life with greater capability, opportunity, and resilience.

And if you need help, I am here to help you design your development journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment